Hey Fab Foodies!
Earlier this week I FINALLY created the perfect baked vegan patties.
I honestly can’t tell you how many attempts I have had to try and get the texture and flavour spot on.
I have tried countless recipes for vegan burger/patties but being the perfectionist that I am, I had a vision in my head and I needed to get it right.
It needs to be baked, not fried.
It was essential that the outside was crisp and the inside a little soft, but not like a hummus texture.
It couldn’t crumble if I were to eat it with my fingers straight from the fridge (let’s not pretend we don’t all do this).
And it had to be gluten and preferably oil free.
So I’m so happy that I have perfected the recipe!
½ cup split red lentils
½ a medium sweet potato
1/3 frozen sweet baby peas (Blanched)
¼ cup grated carrot
3 Tbsp finely diced red onion
1 garlic clove minced
1 Tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley
6 Tbsp chickpea flour
1/4 tsp (heaped) cumin
¼ tsp (heaped) cinnamon
¼ tsp dried basil
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Decent pinch of pink Himalayan salt
(makes 9 patties)
- Soak lentils for at least 8 hours
- Boil lentils until cooked (roughly 15 mins). Then drain.
- Pre heat oven to 180 degree’s Celsius
- Peel and dice the sweet potato. Boil it until cooked then drain
- In a large mixing bowl, roughly mash the sweet potato with a fork
- Add the lentils into the bowl and combine with the potato
- Using a paper towel, dry the grated carrot and blanched peas as much as possible to remove excess moisture
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients, except the chickpea flour
- 2 Tbsp at a time mix in the chickpea flour
- Mould mixture into small palm size patties and place onto baking paper
- Place in oven until golden brown ( roughly 15-20 mins)
I served this with my usual delicious salad which had the lot; Avo, beetroot, zucchini, snow peas, red capsicum and sauerkraut.
I’m so glad I didn’t settle until I got the recipe just right!
I’m sure you will love them as much as I do.
Question: Are you a perfectionist when it comes to cooking?
What’s one dish that took you a while to perfect?
Be kind to yourself,