When I first decided to go vegan, Pumpshrooms was the first recipe I created. Since then this dish has been served to many guests and become a regular meal of mine.
I created Pumpshrooms (pumpkin stuffed mushrooms) on a night when a few friends were coming over. I wanted to show them how easy, inexpensive and how seriously tasty vegan meals can be.
I cook this dish at least once a week and I love serving them to friends and guests as they always compliment me on how delicious they are.
I love pumpkin the way others love chocolate; I can’t seem to get enough! If we had to get technical, I’d say Kent Pumpkin is my favourite because it’s sweeter than other types and stays moist when roasted.
What really makes these Pumpshrooms stand out is the velvet texture of the pumpkin puree.
To create this texture you will need to use a high speed blender or hand stick blender. I have tried this recipe with all different types of pumpkin, but Kent pumpkin created the perfect texture.
2 Portobello mushrooms
300g-400g Pumpkin (Kent if available)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1Tb raw walnuts
- Turn oven on to 180 degree C
- Slice pumpkin 2cm thick and place on a tray and transfer into the oven
- Peel mushrooms and remove the stem
- Once pumpkin is cooked through, blend pumpkin with a hand blender or high speed blender
- Spread pumpkin evenly into the mushrooms
- Sprinkle walnuts and cinnamon on top
- Place mushrooms back into the hot oven and cook for roughly 10 mins
I absolutely love this dish and I’m sure you will too. It’s everything I look for in a recipe; simple, inexpensive, quick and most importantly delicious!
I’d love to know what your first meal you created was in the comments below!